There are some fantastic local buildings that showcase the range and standard of North London architecture. Here are our picks of just a few of the more interesting architectural examples in the area.
Well known for some of the key entertainment events hosted here, Alexandra Palace is also a wonderful example of architecture from the 1800s. It is located in Alexandra Park, between Muswell Hill and Wood Green.
The building’s architect was Owen Jones and it was originally opened in 1873, however following destruction in a fire it had to be rebuilt in 1875. It houses some historical features, such as the original studios in the south-east wing from when it was the venue for the world’s first regular public high definition TV service. The original Victorian theatre together with its stage machinery is also still there.
Alexandra Palace is a Grade II listed building and also on the English Heritage register of Buildings at Risk.
Football fans will be more aware of this Islington landmark’s sporting connections than it’s architectural features. As the home of north London’s Arsenal football team, it has a capacity of over sixty thousand and is the third largest football stadium in England.
The stadium has hosted music concerts as well as international football fixtures and has also undergone ‘Arsenalisation’ in an attempt to restore the heritage and history of Arsenal.
The stadium was designed by HOK Sport and Emirates Airline was the main sponsor for the stadium, with work costing £390 million pounds and being finished in 2006.
Islington Assembly Hall
The Islington Assembly Hall was built in 1929 and officially opened in March of 1930. It originally hosted dances and variety shows, but eventually closed down in the 1980s and lay dormant for nearly three decades. Islington Council raised funding for restoration of the building in 2009 and it was reopened in March 2010. The charm of the building comes partly from keeping a lot of the original features and partly from the mix of original art deco with some modern twists.
It is now a Grade II listed live music venue in London and continues to thrive in the twenty first century.
All Saints, Camden Town
All Saints in Camden Town is a church located at the junction of Camden Street and Pratt Street, now also known as the Greek Church. Although originally built for the Church of England it is now a Greek Orthodox called the Greek Orthodox Church of All Saints.
The architects were William and Henry Inwood and it was built between 1822 and 1824. It is a yellow stock brick building with east and west ends faced in Portland stone. It is mostly rectangular but has an apse on the eastern end and a semi-circular portico on the west end. There is a cylindrical stone tower behind the portico which is surrounded by columns to echo the Choragic Monument of Lysicrates in Athens. It is a Grade I listed building.
Of course there are hundreds more examples of interesting architecture in North London, both historic and contemporary, but we hope this has given you a taste of what is out there.
MSK Design hopes to continue the tradition of great architecture in North London with our fresh and proactive approach towards design and construction.