New Build Residential
Building a new home, or looking to undertake a development opportunity? Whichever it may be, a development involving new build residential needs to start off on the right foot.
MSK Design have undertaken many new build dwellings for commercial and residential clients. Despite the constant publicity over the changes in the planning system, we can say that the planning process for this development type has not been made any easier.
Recently updated and emerging planning policies and legislation are becoming far more definitive with what should be achieved in all new build dwellings across the UK. Considerations for all regulatory requirements really need to be considered at the design stage, some of which involve compliance with:
- Local policy requirements
- National policy requirements
- The London Plan
- The London Housing Design Guide (LHDG)
- Lifetime Homes standards
- Energy efficiency standards that may be set through BREAM assessments, Part L compliance or The Code for Sustainable Homes.
- Day lighting and rights to light
What does this mean to you?
At MSK Design, if you are seeking to achieve flats through conversion works, we will not expect you to be full versed in the regulatory requirements before meeting us. The first thing that we will do is review the scheme and update you on the scope of works required to address such a development. We will then issue you with a proposal for our services to deliver the planning aspect of the development which will outline:
- The project brief
- The required scope of works
- A design management plan
- Our program of works and payment schedules
- A list of team of professional consultants selected specifically on the anticipated requirements of the scheme
On appointment of our services, a design team of specialist consultants will be formed that will be co-ordinated and managed by MSK Design. This allows our clients to focus their attention on what they would like to achieve with the flats, and leave the planning, design, logistical approach and technical detailing to us.
You may be wondering what the design process would involve for us, in order to address your planning submission. We summarise the typical sequence of events as follows:
- Before design works commence on any such developments, the principle of the development needs to be confirmed.
- Once the principle of the development is confirmed, the development needs to be massed out in a manner that is compliant with local policy. At this point we can assess whether the scheme would be feasible.
- Once feasibility is confirmed, the plot needs to be assessed for any concerns addressing environmental and ecological matters.
- Once environmental and ecological matters are addressed, the accessibility, amenity and parking provisions for the site need to be confirmed.
- Design works commence addressing the clients brief.
- A cost plan is prepared for the scheme addressing provisional sums and anticipated costs for the development to assist the client in understanding potential costs for the development. If budgetary costs are deemed an issue, the scheme is scaled back during the design stage.
- Submission of pre-app, to assess the scheme against policy compliance, and commence negotiations with the planning department over design and any other raised policy issues
- Post pre-app assessment, and alterations to the design where required.
- Appointment and management of specialist consultants where required for the preparation of final documentation that may include assessments for:
- Energy efficiency
- Acoustic impact
- Ecological impact
- Aboriculturalist impact
- Environmental impact
- Flood impact
- The cost plan is revisited, and a revised cost plan is generated (if required) to assess any significant changes to the scheme. This will also include any new aspects of the scheme introduced in the pre-app response. If the scheme exceeds budget requirements, the design is reviewed and reduced back if required. Alternatively, the scheme is considered under a phased approach to enable sustainable financing for the development.
- Submission of planning application.
- Application monitoring and negotiations with the planning department at application stage.
- In the event that the application receives too many public complaints, representations at planning committee.
- In the event of a planning refusal, an appeal against the decision or a re-submission with amendments.
- In the event of an approval, any planning conditions set by the planning department will need to be addressed.
- Commencement of the next stage of works involving the construction package, building specification, structural design and fit-out.
With good project planning, the path towards obtaining planning consent for your new build dwelling does not have to be full of obstacles. At MSK Design, our integrated design approach enables us to show you your development potential.